Sunday, June 16, 2013

Last Moments

Yesterday was the last time that I will see Rosa until we meet again in Brazil. It was a very emotional day yesterday. I feel choked up right now thinking about it. Sometimes I feel like the floor is slipping out from under me and one of the only people who understands is a fellow transient and sister of the road. Rosa slept by my side in my most darkest of hours. She is a true sister.

This day was also emotional because I shared with my two dance sisters, Rosa and Mikhaila, the witnessing of our dance mother pouring her heart and soul into the city streets of San Francisco, where she hails from. Amara Tabor-Smith was celebrating the legacy of her dance teacher, Ed Mock. Even though we never had the honor of meeting him, he was all around us yesterday as we watched an incredible group of performers fearlessly address some of the most challenging issues our particular community faces. The wind was blowing strong all day, moving around trash in the street, causing goose bumps to rise, sifting street aromas with the ritual aromas used in the performance. And with the wind keeping us on our toes, Amara ended the five hour experience by speaking to all of us, saying: "the only constant is change."

No comments:

Post a Comment