Sunday, June 30, 2013

Discrimination

What we look like, what we say, where we come from, and what our norms are can provide information about who we are. Our identity is then revealed to an outsider. But the truth is, all of these things that are being observed at first glance are extremely superficial. When you grow up in a society where everything that is beautiful is everything you are not, you start to wonder about your self-worth. Today I stumbled upon this video and it resonated with me. The children in this video say they felt like dogs on a leash, and they felt like they were in prison when they were segregated from each other. It made me think about growing up as an immigrant's daughter and feeling alone. How can I belong? I remember asking myself as a little girl. I remember sitting in front of the television singing along to commercials and television shows. I wanted to get rid of my accent because it made me different. I wonder now if this had an effect on my development as a human being. I want to feel like myself in the days before I changed, but I can't seem to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment