Wednesday, July 17, 2013

We drove her to the airport


We celebrated alongside some of the most talented people in the Bay Area. We toasted and danced with the cast and crew of "He Moved Swiftly...". We laughed at each others' jokes. We snuck in strawberries and hummus between every hip roll. We witnessed a flowing rap artist freestyle to the beats of Mario Bros.' Nintendo music. We watched the disco lights twirl in the red room and light up the picture frames pinned on the yellow walls. Speckles of glittering teeth, art pieces that came to life, and hands holding onto red plastic cups holding onto secret desires and dreams. Shirtless men, limber women, hammocks being pushed by ghosts, and secret conversations about transitions and growing young. We embraced Amara Tabor-Smith, our dance teacher and mentor, and after a night of music, art, and spirits we left the house of sleepy artist and entered my little tic-tac car. We drove her to the airport. He was at the wheel because my eyes were slipping in and out of sleep from three days of driving and traveling. Our bodies stiffened from the Salt Lake City to the Bay car ride. We were on our way to SFO. She had all her bags in my car ready for her destination: Senegal! She should be there now, connecting with new people and learning about their dance world. I am so glad Robyn and I had one more chance to see each other before her trip. I am so happy that I was with her at the beginning of her adventure. This Sunday I return to my Summer Intensive training with Integrated Movement Studies. The more I think about this project, the more excited I get over the possibilities. Safe travels Robyn! Open heart, open mind, and open doors!

No comments:

Post a Comment